Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Law won

A lot of people assume things that come naturally to most people come naturally to all. I can assure you this is not the case. I've been, well, slow to catch on to a lot of these types of things. As part of an effort to change it up a little (and especially after a bad experience with our city bus system), I decided it might be about time I learn to drive.

I've been getting out a lot these past few weeks to get comfortable behind the wheel of a high-powered death machine, but I caught on fairly quickly, I think. You know, if you ignore the five or so years leading up to the last month. Scheduled my driver's test and everything (for March- are they only doing one a week??). So I'm driving around with my mom today, pulled into our first stop, executed a fine parking job, and decided to wait in the car instead of getting out. Mom back in, I pull out of the parking lot and get half a block when I see blinking lights in my rear view.

I definitely got pulled over. And ticketed. For not wearing my seatbelt.

First off, why is that even a law? And more importantly, why is it being enforced? Holy cow, are we really that hurting for crime in the greater Salem area? I didn't even know I could be ticketed as a permit driver (turns out you can, it should be noted). Not being in a financial position to suddenly develop this problem with authority, I did my best to plead my case, but what are you going to say? You either are or you aren't wearing your seatbelt at any given time. At that given time, I wasn't. And there's no chance of NOT getting a ticket- this officer's job was to do nothing but sit there and write up citations for the portion of the population that has such obvious disregard for the law that they don't wear their seatbelts. No kidding. He told me (not in so many words... but that's the general idea). For three days, one officer will sit and do nothing but the seatbelt sting. They answer no other calls, they look for nothing else. Seatbelt sting. Puke.

After the initial shock, my response was understandably to buy a new pair of jeans at our next stop. My mom's was to drive back by the officer and commit some other offense lawfully belted in, just to see if he really did nothing but seatbelt citations. (We didn't actually do that, but we were sure tempted.)

Apparently there's some class I can take (the "seatbelt diversion program"- I'm not even joking) that will probably take 5 hours to tell me to wear my seatbelt. Which, it should be noted, I do about 98% of the time. $100 ticket. Ridiculous. Ironic, also, and hilarious probably someday. But today is not someday. Today is Tuesday. And because it is Tuesday and not someday, it's still a bit close to be funny here. But just as today is not someday because it is, in fact, Tuesday, you are not here. You are there. And there, it's probably pretty dang funny.

6 comments:

Paige said...

CLAP. CLAP. CLAP. That was a phenomenal post. Thank you for everything that you are and for not wearing your seat belt today. Happy Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Point to all those choosing Courtney as the "First in '08 to receive a Traffic Citation"

(I don't think anybody wrote your name down unfortunately...question tossed...)

Anonymous said...

I got a speeding ticket 2 weeks after getting my permit! I wasn't experienced enough to watch the road AND watch the speedometer. My mom tried to plead my case but that jerk officer wouldn't budge. Can you imagine doing that to someone LEARNING how to drive? Really they should not ticket permit holders.

RAJ said...

By the way, "click-it or ticket" (or whatever those ugly big yellow signs all over the Oregon highways say)

Unknown said...

Court! I cant believe you didnt wear your seatbelt! However, I dont think you want a lecture from me (like how the majority of all accidents happen within 20 miles of home so even short trips you have to wear one) but I bet you will from now on huh?

Im excited for you that you are finally getting your license though :) I've been driving for almost 6 years now and never have gotten a ticket, Im shocked and amazed at you :)

Love ya!

(im glad you reminded me about your blog :)

RAJ said...

From the Statesman Journal:

Seat-belt, car-seat use focus of effort

February 7, 2008

Marion County Sheriff's Office is conducting extra patrols to enforce seat-belt and car-seat violations as part of a Northwest region public-safety campaign, spokesman Cmdr. Jason Myers said.

The two-week effort, which began Monday, is set to run until Feb. 17.

The enforcement is part of the "Three Flags" campaign with participating law enforcement agencies throughout Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.