Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Inadvertent thoughts on poetry

I've hit a new kind of writer's block. Lyrics and music generally come at the same time, paired up in some unexplainable way, and it's very hard to break out of the original music I have in my head. I did have a few months of true writer's block where nothing was coming a little while ago, but this is different.

I feel like I'm writing great lyrically, but the music sucks. Totally forgettable, sounds even worse when I try to put it to the piano. And what are lyrics without music? Poetry. And I am NOT a poet. To my view, about 98% of all poetry is just lazy songwriting.

Something's off.

2 comments:

whitney said...

Hey, Hey, Hey, cool down, you're talking about my friend. Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristaphanes, Ovid, Virgil...all poets and all much better writers than you. To my view 98% of all lyrics are bad poetry...scratch that 99%.

Paige said...

whoah- speaking of cool down... Courtney, he gets aggressive when he's sick as you will remember from his entire Junior year of high school ;). Plus, those are basically his only friends. They're all dead. And I would read your bad poetry rather than their "better-writers-than-you" poetry any day of the week... except tuesdays (you've gotta make time for the classics somewhere in your life!)