Friday, September 7, 2007

Flipping ties and radio

I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice humor entirely for the sake of being polite. So I'm here, at the kaleidoscope.

I was attempting to talk to our resident health nut who will remain pointlessly anonymous about, well, anything, when the subject matter turned invariably to food (or in my view, the lack thereof). She was excited because she had found someone to guide through weightloss (which I commend her for) via internet, and explaining to me all the benefits of a total fruit/veggie diet, mostly fruit. Somehow it came up that this unknown internet woman with a weight problem was generically spiritual, which prompted the following statement from our aforementioned slightly anonymous health nut: (refering to Adam and Eve) "...that's when their life span began to decrease, when they introduced meat into their diet". Reflect on that a moment. I know- I'm not making this up. And what I wanted to say was "Actually, I believe the fruit was responsible for that one."

I couldn't think of a graceful way to end the conversation at that point and not be totally awkward about it, so I just kind of smiled and made a mental note to skim over some Genesis later. The other funny of the day came flipping through the radio stations (while I'm there, I will never understand what my dad is looking for exactly on the radio... he'll flip through a bunch of crap we've never heard, finally come across something decent that we know, and skip over that too because "I can listen to that anytime!"... ?). Anyway, I'm getting off topic really easily tonight, so he was flipping through stations, and do you ever do that and catch some random sentence fragment that out of context (or maybe in- will we ever know?) makes next to no sense whatsoever? Our family still quotes "Hostility" from that very thing about a decade ago. Tonight, it was .... something rap that I'm sure is the number one song in America right now... *flip* ...some country crap... *flip* "All confusion has been eliminated" *flip* some Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes... Wait. Hold it right there. All confusion has been eliminated... Seriously? Well that's pretty cool. I couldn't wait to rush home and tell somebody. But really, it was one of those moments where you look around to anyone that happens to be there, wear the "did you just hear that?" look on your face and laugh about it. Maybe you had to be there. Maybe you were.


Tie-flipping statements? Does anyone remember those?

No comments: