Tuesday, May 19, 2009

monopoly money

Most journeys to Walmart prior to yesterday, with rare exception, had followed the same pattern. I dread going but walk in with purpose, quickly become overwhelmed, and after as few demoralizing minutes as possible I make my escape with or without the items I intended to purchase.

For those tracking the story of the newest Bingham family, Landon and I have been married for a month now and in Santa Barbara for several weeks. We are extremely grateful for the generosity of others that put anything at all in our new home- kitchen appliances, cleaning supplies, a couch, etc. We found ourselves pretty well off, but definitely missing some essentials. Also, I love Target, but they were very selective about what could be returned. So, on the night before we left for California, we took all the items Target had rejected to Walmart and surprisingly, they took all kinds of things we didn't want to move with us and handed us a gift card for our troubles. Apparently they take anything they carry in their stores, even if it wasn't bought there.

Our mission yesterday was to fill in our missing essentials. Armed with our gift cards and a GPS, we made our way to Kohls, Walmart, and Target with a list I had put together after a week and a half of living here and noticing what was... missing. Like a garbage can, for example. As pretty as using shiny wedding gift bags was for our garbage needs, that was a short-lived solution. We decided to approach the warehouse-like establishments in a particular order due to the amount we had to spend at each store. After purchasing silverware at Kohls, we drove to Walmart to see what we could take care of there before moving on to Target, where we had the most to spend.

After parking and approaching what appeared to be a small city (Landon assured me it was just a Walmart), we apprehensively entered and began finding the items on our list. We managed to find and purchase my ENTIRE (rather sizable) list at Walmart, plus some extra items, for under $150. Say what you want about them (and I would have been right there with you before yesterday)- Walmart did us a huge favor by selling so much stuff for so cheap. When my biggest letdowns are accidently buying garbage bags without a drawstring and white lightbulbs instead of yellow, it's a successful venture. I don't want to copy my receipt here to prove my point, but we needed a lot and Walmart had it. For a lot less than we could have hoped for.

That's not even the happy ending. Having taken care of nearly everything at Walmart, we found ourselves at Target with a lot of gift card dollars, and even after we bought the set of pots and pans I had scouted out for weeks we had enough left over to purchase a TV- a luxury I hadn't anticipated so soon.

1 comment:

Annie. said...

No way! We got gypped by Target big-time when trying to return things. Should have taken our stuff to Walmart instead!